The benefits of purple foods and why they are better for health.
PURPLE FOODS BENEFITS – A healthy diet is essential for many reasons and some of the foods that can be of help come in the color of purple.
For good health and nutrition, a healthy diet must become a habit. It protects us against chronic noncommunicable diseases and a healthy diet means consuming less salt, sugars and saturated and industrially-produced trans-fats.
One of the main tips in having a healthy diet is consuming plenty of vegetables and fruit as they are great sources of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, plant protein, and antioxidants. These are the nutrients we need to avoid serious condition and health problems like obesity, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.
Fruits and vegetables come in a variety of colors and some of them are in purple. This color is an indication of a healthy and powerful nutrient called anthocyanins. This is also the same nutrients that gives them the purple. Anthocyanins are not needed by the body to function but is essential in protecting the cells from damages that can cause illness and diseases.
PURPLE FOR OVERALL HEALTH
The color purple in foods indicate being rich in antioxidants and antioxidants are good for the overall health and prevent serious health problems like heart disease, stroke, and cancer.
BENEFITS OF PURPLE FOODS
- Purple grapes have phytonutrients that prevent cancer cell growth, reduce cholesterol, and lower platelet aggregation.
- Blackberries are good sources of vitamin A, C, and K and may help improve digestion and reduce inflammation.
- Blueberries are rich in polyphenols like flavonoids and phenolic acids.
- Plums have antioxidants that have good effects on bone health, digestion, and reducing inflammation.
- Acai berries help in improving cognitive function, heart health, and cholesterol levels.
- Grapes have resveratrol that combats cell damage.
In general, purple foods can:
- support cardiovascular system
- fight cancer
- improve cognition
- reduce inflammation
- reverse UV damage
You should be eating these:
- Black currants
- Red onions
- Black rice
- Purple potatoes
- Purple sweet potatoes
- Blue corn
- Purple cauliflower
- Purple carrots
- Purple brussels sprouts
- Purple asparagus
What can you say about this? Let us know in the comments!